Monday, October 4, 2010

Why do we keep improving ourselves?

To many people, defining accomplishment is a tool to measure where you are and how much you have gained. It is a self satisfying act that only the person himself would know how it would feel. Some friends showed to me indirectly that accomplishment can be addictive. You are drawn by the fact of its fulfillment and you find your self wanting for more. Greed some might say, but it seems that no one can deny that it is a good trait.

The fact that many people are unaware of such high is because many of us do not justify the means of measurement to stage how far we have accomplished. Passion is good but having a tool to continue grading ourselves is important too. What makes it difficult is perhaps the definition by itself, depends entirely on whom observing it.

If you are a self satisfying person, you define everything according to how you want it to be. However if you are the crowd type of people, what ever happens must be inline to what people want. I myself think that it should be a balance of both worlds. Writing only about what you want may not be popular to the crowed reading. You may end up being the only reader of your stuff. Being what people want would also do no good. You only do what people want and in the end you are not even aware of the writer you are becoming.

Have bits of yourself in your writing, like what I post previously, every writings have their own character and style. Do not afraid what people might say, as what they say means that they read your post and want more of you. The challenge that most writer have are the fact that they are looking for the link between what people want and what you want. Having a thoughtful mind, would seem reasonable to understand that what you write does affect the people reading.

Enough about writer, besides writing I do enjoy a couple of stuff. Drawing for instance let you express visually to what you see inside your mind. Though I am far from being an expert at drawing, I still get credit from the people around me. It makes sense that I am a right side brain kind of people.

All I know, that what ever I am doing, I do it continually from time to time. I enjoy that it gives me the freedom to express and be myself. So the question to why do people continue to improve themselves might comes back to the answer to why they do it in the first place. Though the road is winding and narrow, the struggle to pursue what they want continues because it significantly merits the person they want to be in the future.

I have learned that what image you have of yourself in the end defines the things that you are currently doing. No one wants to procrastinate if they know it clearly that they want to be great in a certain area. Although the road varies from one desire to another, what seems to stay similar is the knowing of what you want to be. That is why people continue to improve themselves.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you that you have a positive outlook and strive to be better every day.

    =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been a writer until I started blogging. It is something I am enjoying doing but I struggle at it and try to improve with every post.

    My thing is 3D drafting and machine design. I have gone back to school to improve my skills for that. My fulfillment from that is when I get done designing I can take it from screen to reality. You can hold it in your hands and try it out for the purpose it was created. It works or it doesnt.

    For me it is something easier and more concrete to grasp than writing skills. I will still continue trying to improve my writing tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have been really busy these past few days...

    hey sweet cheeck i hope you have that positive days ahead too.

    simply suthern... i hope you you will be great someday too.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think the key is to keep challenging yourself. it's no fun living in a rut for the rest of your life. some people might prefer that kind of simplicity but then these very same people also consider going to tesco a vacation in itself. anyway, keep on challenging yourself, if anything else just to find out if you still have a pulse. you know what they say: a small challenge a day keeps the bore at bay (okay, this is a rip-off!)

    ReplyDelete