Sunday, September 26, 2010

How to be a good writer ?

This is a very difficult topic for me. I am not a good writer and I am only just learning to be one. I don’t know why it is difficult for me to share with people. Whether it is because I am lack of experience or just bad with English, I think I am just bad at both.

I read a few author biographies today and found out that most of them started early when they were still young. Some were excellent even at their very young age. Many have actually participated with serious writings making them well prepared to write good stories. So the question is how am I supposed to catch up with these guys?

Learning anything can be tough when it is the first time. I know that to be true when people do criticise my writing. Lack of coherent, too simple and sounds funny. All of them gave a general statement. I am willing to learn but find it hard to know where I should start. Do I revise on my grammar? or do I go and do something exciting so that I actually have something to write?

I read many blogs that I found interesting. Thus, I am aware that length is not the reason why people still read them. The message also does not need to be extraordinary and can be simple. It is just how you present them in writing that matters.

When I read good blogs, I can see that they have characters and distinctive style that goes along with it. Some are touching while some are thrilling to read. No matter how you look at them, they have class and standard.

My blog (writing) however does not have that. A term my friend use to describe are “niche”. He told me that, writing can be about anything. What I write in my blog matters to my readers as what is written tells a story about myself. The personality of a particular person can be seen with just a glance of their writing.

I am still a seed metaphorically in this area. I just need to be patient and keep on doing it. so I hope this explain why I keep changing the stuff I write in my blog. I am experimenting and trying different stuff.

In time I hope to make acquaintances with people all over the world through my writing. I hope to get to know good writers and continue to enjoy reading their works. Besides that I also would like to know new bloggers who are trying to be a good writer too. I want to read and observe their improvement from time to time. It would be nice to know people struggling like me to be good in writing.

Writing can actually be a lot of work when you think about it. To start one must be ready to accept that it is not going to be a pleasant journey all the time. There are many type of people out there, some are motivating while some are blatant. It is I who have to set my mind to get there.

I do hope I could be a great writer. Even though it will take years to actually improve, I think it is going to be worth the while.

2 comments:

  1. You will be as great as you are meant to be.. I think you are a very expressive writer. the best advice anyone gave me was write the truth. Cut away the mess and get to the heart of the matter..

    I am not a good writer either, but i love writing...

    I'll be back :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey lynne, wow i love your writing. your poem are strong .

    thank you for dropping by. i appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete