Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cheaper in those days

My mum used to say that everything used to be cheap. She would remind me that she only needed RM 0.50 cent and it was enough for her whole school day. She said bas fares were only 10 cent, two glasses of drinks for 10 cent and a lunch for 15 cent. She could even save 15 cent a day. Yeah, things were that cheap.

Today, you are lucky if you could save some from spending RM 10 a day. What can I say, even a trip to the toilet cost 30 cent?

Imagine if I could travel back and bring a long a ten ringgit note with me. I would be rich, rich I say. Since going to school would only cost me 10 cent, imagine what 10 ringgit would do? I’d be traveling the whole country.

Well maybe not all places, I’m not even sure if transportation were good in those days. Look at the picture below.




This picture of bas mini (we Malaysian call it) might not look appealing these days, but in those days it must have been like riding the Ferrari. Only the town people could afford taking a bus. Mum also said that her friends used to travel 10 kilometers (6.25 miles) in a bicycle everyday just to be in school and another 10 kilometers to get home. It was a common traveling transportation in those days.

These days you find people doing it just for the sake of having fun. I guess that is why people in those days don’t go to gyms to shed pound.

Radios were the source of their entertainment. They even listen to sport matches on it. That is why radio commentators were like the celebrities. Black and white televisions however were only for the rich. Dad told me that he would have to go to his friend house just to catch the wonder years show.


Things are different now, what used to cost for 1 ringgit might triple in today’s life (that is if we find it on sale). A movie used to cost my dad only 1 ringgit; but today with the same amount you could only get a glass of hot tea.

Inflation?

8 comments:

  1. Money used to stretch a lot farther when we were young, that's for sure. I'm sure the children of today will say the same thing when they grow up too. It seems to be the way of the world.
    =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehhe yeah.... i think what my parents used to say to me is somewhat what my grand parents used to say to them. hehehhehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've already found myself talking about how things used to be cheaper. I think it's a genetic trait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TS: lol funny thing is, we are not aware until we start doing it... come to think of it, its like a circle of life...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it is like an oral tradition, a storytelling practice, that gets passed on from one generation to the next like the ancient fables, ghost stories, mythologies, etc. As always there are nuggets of wisdom buried deep beneath all these fantastical stories, which is why they are still being told until today.

    Anyway, I do enjoy the old folks "once upon a time" story. It's the closest historical connection you can get to that period of time, barring the invention of a time machine, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. fido dido: nice comment.. well done.. i learn a thing or two just by reading it.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder how many Riggets I'm worth? Love the pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. coyboy : i bet you are worth a thousand, well that is of cause in those days... :P

    ReplyDelete